Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Adding Patina

Hi Everyone!
Ok, remember all the napkin sets I was working on?  Well, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them but I just kept making them.  They were really fun.  Then, this weekend I was talking to a friend and she invited me to share some of my handmade stuff at a fund raiser for the Juvenile Diabetes foundation.  I thought that would be a great place to sell some of my napkin sets as well as some of the aprons and other handmade goodies I've been working on.  I was trying to come up with a cute way to bundle my napkin sets and going back to my inspiration blog (Mish Mash) I wanted to do something similar but inexpensive (I don't have a stash of vintage silverware) but I thought wooden spoons might work.  I found some packages at the local Wal-Mart but they were just a little too... new, and they were all different lengths.  My DH cut them to the same length and sanded them smooth.  But they were still lacking something.

I thought I might try painting them but I wanted people to be able to use them so I thought a tea bath might add a little patina to them.
Wooden spoons float!  I had to weigh them down in the bath.  So I went from plain vanilla spoons to spoons with a suntan!

Now the spoons had a little more color to them and could still be used in the kitchen. I let them dry and stamped cute little tags to add to the bundles.
I'm thinking I sell them for $5.00 a bundle.  Part of the proceeds will go to the JDF.  I know this was a long post thanks for sticking with it to the end.  Email me or leave a comment if you'd like to know more about the JDF event and I'll be happy to send you more information.  It should be a fun evening.  I'll talk to you again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment