Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Twelve Days of Christmas

Day 5


One of the best things about playing around with art is being able to make a gift for a friend. I have a dear friend who loves birds and birdcages as much as I do.


This summer we traveled to the International Folk Art Festival in Santa Fe to take photographs.  Whenever we have a chance to visit "the city different" we make a special effort to go to our favorite little shop on Canyon Road, the name of the shop is Curiosa.  It is always full of fascinating little things. This trip we saw a bird cage in the little shop and I just knew I could make something like it.

First I had to figure out how to assemble the cage.  I had a round paper mache box in my stash so I used the top of it as the base for my cage.

I covered the wires with florist tape and then covered them and base with more of my vintage music paper.   Once it dried I did a light white wash over the whole thing.  My next problem was finding a bird the right size.  I looked all over for one, but wound up making my own with good old paper mache.


The little bird was the perfect size to perch on the outside of the cage, I painted him and then glued him to a small clothes pin.  I found a stick to glue inside as a perch and used some creamy silk roses to finish everything off.  The banner on the inside says "Peace".  The best part was when she opened her gift.  She recognized the cage and thought I had gone back to the little shop and bought the one we had seen.  She was so tickled that I had made it instead.

I was so happy she liked it.

Have a great day and I'll talk to you again soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment